Wednesday, January 26, 2005

You Rolling Thick Crust?

It occurred to me just now that some people might not understand the naming, etc. of my blog. I figured those of you who have the misfortune to have stumbled onto this page might be interested.

I've always found things that are completely absurd to be quite amusing. One of the most absurd things on the Interweb is
Pokey the Penguin. This is a webcomic I started reading back in college. The whole comic looks like it was created in MS Paint (probably for a very good reason) and the dialog makes little, if any sense. Rather than go back and erase dialog or drawings, the "artist" simply crosses them out. It's an acquired taste, but I find this shit to be absolutely hilarious. Now that you all think I'm insane, a little more in-depth explanation of some key terms:

Chicago Style: As you can see here, Chicago Style means to do something without pants on. I think the term originated in a dream the author or possibly one of his friends had. It found its way into the strip, and I picked it up from there. Very few people understand this reference, but I've only been questioned on it once, and it was about five minutes ago. I guess people just don't pay any attention when I do things that don't make any damn sense, since it happens so often.

DON'T YOU HAVE GOOD GARBAGE?: Taken from this strip, for no apparent reason. When I created my blog, it needed a title. I figured Pokey was as good a place as any to find one. This one struck me, because I figured 98% of what's in here is mindless garbage anyway. So I might as well question its goodness.

Mr. Nutty: This is the first appearance of Mr. Nutty in a Pokey strip. He is a "regular" character, if you can call any of them that. Keep in mind Pokey has no update schedule and only one plot line I can think of: the inhabitants of the Arctic Circle don't like the Italians because they try to steal their arctic circle candy. Your guess is as good as mine. Anyway, Mr. Nutty is a sophisticated alcoholic snowman/baron of industry who cruises around the Arctic Circle in a giant flying boxing glove. His business ventures include Nutty Industries and the Mr. Nutty School of Placemat Design. Having just re-read those last two sentences, I'm beginning to think I'm a little nuts for liking this comic so much. Anyway, I like Mr. Nutty's style. So much so, that I use some variant of "Mr. Nutty" for most of my internet usernames. Most notably one of my primary IM names, which anyone reading this should already know.

Anyway, I think that's about it. I highly recommend reading some Pokey strips. Admittedly, some of them are pretty lame, but the majority are hilarious, if you ask me. If you find humor in things that are completely off the wall, totally ghetto, and don't make any sense whatsoever, you'll enjoy Pokey.

Oh, the quote in the "About Me" section over there is from the Talking Heads song, Psycho Killer.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger scalpystraz said...

Your love for this cartoon explains so much about your personality. ;c)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home