Monday, September 20, 2004

Reading is FUNdamental

My profile is the only on on this whole Blogger thing that has "Tripping the light fantastic" as an interest. That's a little disappointing. Several people had "Wesley Willis" in their music section. Several people seem to enjoy the book Imzadi, slightly fewer liked Imzadi Forever, and once again, I was alone with both This Must Be The Place and Imzadi II.

I'll start with the easy one. This Must Be The Place is a biography of one of the greatest bands of all times -- Talking Heads. I read it cover to cover last year when I was forced to sit in a data center all day long, doing approximately 20 minutes worth of work spread out over the course of 8 hours. It was the first book I'd actually read in a few years, and one of the few that I've actually finished in my entire life. I never was big on the reading. It's a good book though, and if you're into the 'Heads or eating glass, I highly recommend it.

Imzadi is the touching tale of the love between William T. Riker and Diana Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It has something to do with the two of them pining over each other, but somehow never actually ending up together. Imzadi Forever is a continuation of the same story, again, no actual togetherness. Imzadi II is about the sordid love triangle between Troi, Riker, and Worf. I'm sure someone gets together in that one someplace, and Worf kills Riker at the end and then eats his brain. Imzadi II is the clear winner of the three, which is why I'm a little curious I'm the only person on the internet who seemed to like it.

Anyway, I guess I have weird taste in books. Or, maybe that whole thing was a joke and I haven't actually read ANY of the Imzadi series. (or any other Star Trek novel, for that matter) Either way, if Imzadi II doesn't end with Worf cracking open Riker's skull and feasting on the goo inside, it should. He should be doing it while wearing a 70's era California Highway Patrol uniform, too. Man, that'd be sweet. He could wash it down with a peptide cake. With mint frosting.

I'm not sure what about all this I find the most perplexing.... The fact that I'm the only person to put Imzadi II into my profile, the fact that I'm such a dork I thought it would be funny to put Star Trek romance novels in my profile, or the fact that the Imzadi series actually contains THREE books. Apparently, I'm not the only person with a little too much free time on his hands.


Also, the Blogger Spell Checker doesn't seem to recognize the word "Blogger." What's that about?

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I have noticed that about the spell-check also. Sheesh. Anyway you have a great blog here. Have a good one!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger pasq242 said...

"No one ever learned a damn thing by reading."
~Buster Smarr

Yeah, the only thing that beats the ineffectual romance of Riker and Troi is anything to come out of http://go.to/godawful. Although, it looks like they've changed the site to just be a forum, and I doubt any of it is work-safe. Eh.

I tend to be fairly easy to please with books, but like anything else, it's a time committment. That's why I'm so fired up about practially everything on Cliffs Notes' site being free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home